As some of you are already aware, and are awaiting the vacation run down, we left the kids at home with their Grandma Ricks and got on a plane headed for Central America. We spent a total of 11 days filled with new and exciting animals, beautiful scenery, and many, many insects...biting and non. We planned our trip with our good friends Jami and Spencer but due to scheduling conflicts we arrived in Costa Rica two days earlier then they did. So we spent that time in one of many little surfer towns, Montezuma. We loved it here and didn't think that it could get any better and luckily we were very wrong. We had a room with an amazing view of the beach and surf (literally five steps to the beach) in a wonderful and quiet hotel surrounded by tons exotic flowers and lush jungle. While in Montezuma we hiked to the Montezuma waterfall, beautiful, and went horseback ridding along the beach and through the jungle. The horseback ridding was fun despite the small abrasions left on our calves from our lack of wearing long pants. We first laughed at our stupidity but when the small abrasions turned into open, oozing wounds we stopped laughing and started first aid. Be it the humidity, or being constantly in and out of the ocean, our legs didn't even begin to scab over until two days before we came home...8 days after horseback ridding! We moved on to our next destination and met up with Jami and Spencer at our wonderful and almost exclusively our own resort in Santa Teresa. Oh how we loved Florblanca!! We stayed in our own open air bungalows and had a whole staff bend to our every need. It was fabulous and much out of our budget except for the fact that our very good travel agent got us such a great deal!! Thanks Jami! We enjoyed sleeping in and relaxing on the beach during the days. We spent evenings boogie boarding while watching the sunset, eating delicious food and playing cards until we retired to our candle lit, incense filled rooms. Loved it! Nate and I also got to experience zip lines for the first time. We did an 8 platform zip line though the jungle with amazing views of the ocean as well. It was amazing! Okay so before I ramble on and on about the amazing things we did and saw, is anyone wondering where our amazing pictures are?? Well funny story, okay not so funny but definitely true. One morning we decided to rent some ATV's to drive to some other beaches and explore the area since our prior form of transportation around town, i.e. a golf cart belonging to our resort, ended up only being for transportation on the resort...oops. Anyways, we rented ATV's and attached our backpacks to the front with a bungee cord as instructed by the owner of the ATV rental place. When I say we put our backpacks I mean our backpacks containing cash, credit cards (only because of the ATV rental), camera, and a bunch of other misc. items. Not thinking and totally forgetting about the backpacks entirely, we pulled up to a quiet, almost deserted beach and parked our ATV's on this little gravel patch surrounded by jungle to check it out. When we returned to the vehicles not even 5 minutes later, our backpacks and all their contents were gone. So to spare you the rest of the gritty details, we lost all forms of payment we brought to Costa Rica, all our memories and amazing pictures we had taken thus far, and our trust in our previously trustworthy Ticos. Okay so its not fair to blame all natives of Costa Rica, i.e. Ticos. Actually after many conversations about what happened to us with the locals, the blame actually fell on the Nicaraguans, who are immigrating like crazy into Costa Rica for a better life. They are the poor working class and according to Ticos, the source of all Costa Rico's crime. Nicaraguans or not, we hoped for a small miracle that who ever did take our stuff would have a change of heart and at least bring back our cameras. However, after a day of dwelling and moping we cut our losses and tried to forgive and forget so that we could continue to enjoy our vacation...which we did. So the following pictures were taken with a disposable camera, hence the terrible quality, of the remainder of our trip in the Osa Peninsula. We spent our time here exploring the rain forest by hiking many different trails. We saw many animals we didn't even know existed and some that we did. Of those were Toucans, Macaws, Sloths (a mother and a baby), every kind of monkey including the very loud and very early "bird" howler monkey, crocodiles, snakes, and poisonous frogs. It was an amazing place and an adventurous end to a great vacation!
The beach at Florblanca...beautiful!!
Jami and I sad to leave our little taste of heaven
A rare picture of the whole gang at Florblanca
Me in front of our bungalow
Nate and I on the boat tour of the Mangrove Forest and River
Nate and Spencer on the boat trying to find dolphins with no luck
relaxing and enjoying our ocean view in the Osa
Jami and Spencer in the Jungle by our resort
Hiking the pacific trail down to the beach
We hiked the pacific trail at high tide and experienced some of the biggest waves we have ever seen, the picture doesn't do it justice. 

11 comments:
What an AMAZING trip! I am glad you had such a great time and got to get away to such a beautiful place...despite the loss of your camera etc.
You guys look like your glowing! That vacation must have done you a lot of good. Oh maybe that's just the moisture from the camera ;-) But wow! that sunset is amazing! fun! I want to go!!!!
christine
What an amazing trip!!! I wish we were right there along with you. That pic of you guys on the beach that the photographer took is amazing. You are such a hot mama, rachelle! If I were you, I would keep that framed on my wall forever.
I know I've told you a thousand times already, but can I say just how jealous I am?! Wow! What a trip. Too bad about everything getting stolen, but glad you had fun anyway!
That trips looked like it was so much fun....minus the stolen stuff. Great pictures!
It looks and sounds like you guys had a fantastic time in Costa Rico. We're very jealous, even though we've had a few fabulous trips of our own. None included a jungle. That's horrible about getting your bags and camera's stolen. I tease Brandi for always being so cautious but it's stories like this that really help me appreciate that trait in her. Good job on breaking mom in on the full time baby sitting, we'll have to take advantage of her before she gets rusty again.
It looks and sounds like you guys had a fantastic time in Costa Rico. We're very jealous, even though we've had a few fabulous trips of our own. None included a jungle. That's horrible about getting your bags and camera's stolen. I tease Brandi for always being so cautious but it's stories like this that really help me appreciate that trait in her. Good job on breaking mom in on the full time baby sitting, we'll have to take advantage of her before she gets rusty again.
brother
Rachelle - you are such a babe! It looks like you had so much fun. Next time Laura and I need to come with you guys :) I hope I can sneak out to Colorado again soon and see you. We'll definitely plan a girls night out or maybe we'll just plan a girls vacation and all get together.
Hi Jeppson Family- What a nice website with all your photos from Costa Rica. We at Bosque del Cabo (resort in the Osa Penisula) needed to get in touch with you guys. Please email us when you get a chance- reservations@bosquedelcabo.com
It was such a fun trip, I can't wait til next time!
Whoop! What a fantastic vacation, and well deserved. You find the best vacations destinations so don't be surprised if I pick your brain someday. I'm glad you got a few good photos (what a nice photographer!). I hope you frame that pic of you and the sunset - perfect for your master bedroom. ;-)
Wendy Thomander
Post a Comment