Monday, March 9, 2009

DIY

We have been hard at work to improve some areas of our house that we have been wanting to improve for years. If you know us then you are aware that Nate and I are not the DIY kind. We definitely lack the know how and patience. Most of the time I would rather pay someone to get it done faster and lets be honest probably better! Nate came home one night after helping a friend with some home improvements and had grand plans for our master bath. We have had carpet in all of our bathrooms since moving into the house which has been such an eye sore. After discussing it we decided that not only would we tile the master bath, but we would tile our two other bathrooms and our utility room. As we started planning out what to do with the floors, we thought that if we tile the floors we should get new counter tops as well. By Changing the counter tops we entered a whole new dimension to our project. New counter tops led to new sinks, faucets, hardware, paint, and mirrors. I think it is referred to as the "we might as well" factor when it comes to home improvements. And as all home improvements go, things took a lot longer than originally anticipated. There were a lot of things that we didn't consider, or better yet we didn't realize we needed to do. So with those delays and the normal construction set backs, including one broken sink that needed to be reordered, our week long project turned into a good 2 1/2 weeks. Alas, we are done and everything looks so good!! Midway through the project we realized that we didn't have any pictures of the before so just imagine really ugly Formica counter tops and carpet and then look at these after pictures...



Main floor 1/2 bathroom




Master bath





The girls bathroom



Utility room

7 comments:

Jana Banana said...

Wow, I love all of the pictures! We are finishing our basement bathroom, and I really love the look of your circle mirrors in your master bath! Thanks for the great ideas, you guys did awesome!!!

Eric and Rozanne said...

Great job! That is amazing that you did all that yourself! I love the colors of the tile you chose. Also, cool angle of the tile in your master bath!

Afton or Brooke said...

wow, it turned out great! you guys are seriously inspirational!

Brecken said...

all that stress was totally worth it. I want to come and just sit in your bathroom too, it turned out beautiful. I've got to get the name of your guy from you.

molly said...

impressive!

Koenig Family Blog said...

Rachelle- AWESOME! I need to get the counter-top guy's name from you! Looking at your pics makes me really want to do ours!

Amy said...

It looks awesome! I love the dark tile! Great job