This post is inspired by a fellow blogger (my cousin's wife) and her little boy who decided to stop sleeping through the night after months of sleeping 10 hours at a time. It must be going around because my sister recently called me in hopes for some words of inspiration on how to get her 8 month old baby to sleep through the night. Unfortunately I had none. I too am searching for that ah ha moment when I finally find the answer to a much stewed over equation. Kennedy promised to be an angel baby and began sleeping through the night at as early as 2 months. I hate to say that it didn't last for long and around 5 months old she began the whole process of waking up again. I thought for sure it was just a phase and I would soon know how it feels to be refreshed and ready to start a new day again. Well Kennedy is going on 13 months and Iam still waiting for this phase to pass. I must say that we still have it pretty easy and typically are only required to get up once during the night and sometimes it would be at a more reasonable 5 a.m. However, I hope I speak for most mothers when I say whether it be once a night or 5 times a night I don't think it makes a difference... it is extremely frustrating!! So what do you do when you come to the realization that enough is enough? I feel like I have tried everything with very minimal results. I almost shouted victory last week while Nate was away for a few days and I tried the 'cry it out' method again for who knows how many times in Kennedy's short life time. After one night of enduring almost two hours of heartbreaking screams I couldn't believe it when four days passed with out getting up at all. As I was gaining confidence in my tough love approach, the fifth day brought getting up multiple times at night with an almost inconsolable baby. I am always quick to suspect the obvious...(teething) and apply orajel. And if her crying continues I eventually add the appropriate dosage of children's Tylenol to the equation. Yet I have been suspecting teething for far too long with no new pearly whites as confirmation of my theory. We do know she does have teeth trying to work their way down as her gums are swollen and more recently have become more and more asymmetrical with what I refer to as teeth bumps. But honestly, how long can it take for teeth to break through?? So after an evening of going up and down the stairs trying to comfort a child who can't seem to stay asleep for longer than 1 hour at a time without waking up, I find myself anticipating another sleepless (and frustrating) night.
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
I'd hate to call it funny, because no one would consider laughing, but I've considered calling you for advice as well. I thought your kids were perfect sleepers. Paisley went a good 8 1/2 months of sleeping through the night, but given the last few weeks of waking up multiple times every night, we can barely remember those nights. It looks like we're about to attempt our first and hopefully last "Cry It Out" experience.
My best advice is that some day (before you know it) they'll be teenagers and you won't be able to get them out of bed! I know that is no consolation, but we've all been through it. Hope you get it figured out before July! But, if not, c'est la vie! Love, Mom
Mom,
we are trying to get things worked out much sooner than July! :-) Hopefully her two front teeth will decide to pop through and life will be happy again.
I suggest putting her in a crate and locking her in...oppps I guess that only works on dog babies ;-)! hee hee. that's all the advice a single girl can give on crying babies. but maybe it helps? ;-)
xo
christine
Hi Rachelle!
Isn't it horrible letting them cry it out!? With Max, the night after his 1 1/2 hour cry he only cried 15 minutes, and then the next night maybe 2-3 minutes. So now, I hear him wake up and then fuss for a second and fall back asleep. He will wake up around 6 or 7 and eat and go back down again after that. I am not getting my hopes up yet and saying that it worked....but for now life is a little better :) If I were to go into Max's room to soothe him in the night- he would only cry harder and take longer to go back to sleep--so I avoid going in at all. I just have to peek at him to make sure he isn't stuck somehow. Anyways, goodluck!! I hope those teeth pop out very soon!
Rachelle, I am so sorry. It's miserable not getting any sleep! When Soren was really bad my doctor had me give him baby motrin. It works alot better than tylenol. Would you want to take the kids to the park this week? It's supposed to be great out. Let me know. Wednesday or Friday works for me.
I think this is the biggest question ever posed to womankind. The problem is they are all so different!
Arlo had big time issues with this. He is such a creature of habit. Crying it out really is the only thing that worked for him. Sometimes he still gets off kilter and we have to let him cry it out again (someitmes for a couple nights) and he's back. I totally feel for you - it is so hard to know during those teething days, are they really in pain or do they just want mom?
That is so hard! My first babe was like that. It is torture, seriously.
Post a Comment